Forum Discussion

maadavan
Icon for Altocumulus rankAltocumulus
Jun 05, 2023
Solved

SSL Offloading for specific IPs or range of IPs

Current flow is as below

Client -> F5 LTM (SSL Proxying) -> On premise Application Servers (TLS Offloading).

Certificates that do TLS offloading has F5 LTM DNS as CN/SAN.

For a migration of my on premise application stack to cloud, I need to achieve below two cases.

Client -> F5 LTM (SSL offloading for specific client IPs & Reencrypt TLS) -> New Stack cloud Application

Client -> F5 LTM (SSL Proxying) -> On premise Application Servers (TLS Offloading).

I have went through Bypass ssl offloading to certain IPs - DevCentral (f5.com) & SSL Offloading using iRules - DevCentral (f5.com). But not the exact case. Would wanted to confirm with experts here in thr forum please. Can someone kindly shed some light & a small example please?

• Something like this maybe (where offload_ips is a data-group with ip host and ip/mask as specified)

when CLIENT_ACCEPTED priority 500 {
        if {[class match -- [IP::client_addr] equals offload_ips]} {
            SSL::enable
            pool new_stack_cloud_application
        } else {
            SSL::disable
            pool on_premise_applications_servers
        }
    }

• JRahm, I beg to differ and offer a different solution. Not every problem requires an iRule to be solved. 🙂
    I'd rather create two virtual servers, one with pool_A and SSL Bridging configured and another one with pool_B and SSL Passthroughand make use of K14800: Order of precedence for virtual server matching.  

OrderDestinationSourcePort
    1(host address)(network address)(port)
    2(host address)*(port)

For the source you can use an Address List as described in this Manual article: Configuring Multiple IP Addresses and Service Ports for a Virtual Server. This would replace the datagroup for matching the source IP address(es).

KR
    Daniel 

11 Replies

• Something like this maybe (where offload_ips is a data-group with ip host and ip/mask as specified)

when CLIENT_ACCEPTED priority 500 {
        if {[class match -- [IP::client_addr] equals offload_ips]} {
            SSL::enable
            pool new_stack_cloud_application
        } else {
            SSL::disable
            pool on_premise_applications_servers
        }
    }

• JRahm, I beg to differ and offer a different solution. Not every problem requires an iRule to be solved. 🙂
      I'd rather create two virtual servers, one with pool_A and SSL Bridging configured and another one with pool_B and SSL Passthroughand make use of K14800: Order of precedence for virtual server matching.  

OrderDestinationSourcePort
      1(host address)(network address)(port)
      2(host address)*(port)

For the source you can use an Address List as described in this Manual article: Configuring Multiple IP Addresses and Service Ports for a Virtual Server. This would replace the datagroup for matching the source IP address(es).

KR
      Daniel 

JRahm
        Icon for Admin rankAdmin

Daniel_Wolf HOW DARE YOU BEG TO DIFFER!! 😎

But seriously, 💯 on only using iRules where necessary. maadavan, this solution is definitely the way to go!

JRahm
        Icon for Admin rankAdmin

untested...make sure to test in a lab! if you have trouble I might be able to mock up tomorrow.