Forum Discussion

Andy_Verrent
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Dec 01, 2022
Solved

F5 iApp migration to FAST

Hi

Hoping for some advice in regard to migrating a deployed Exchange 2013 iApp to an Exchange 2016 FAST template.

Currently we have an iApp deployed that provides services for Exchange 2013, our client now wishes to deploy Exchange 2016. On checking the iApp template and configuration guide I note that the iApp for exchange 2016 has been deprecated and I believe is now EoL, so no testing beyond 13.1 would be done with this iApp, we are currently running 15.1.5.

Is it possible to install AS3 and FAST on to our F5's without any adverse effect to the iApp that is currently running on our F5's, supporting our exchange 2013 deployment ?

• Hi Andy, 

Yes, this shouldn't be a problem.

The FAST templates are basically just a repackaging of the iApp templates (...and now I'm probably about to be attacked by some F5 folks... 😉 Whereas the iApps work by relying on tmsh code and internal scripting, the FAST framework is heavily reliant on the API and AS3 for its actual commands. This makes the FAST templates a lot more flexible and futureproof as they rely less on the exact internal workings. As long as the API commands stay the same, the templates will continue to work.

So regarding running an iApp for the Exchange 2013 install and a FAST template for the 2016 install, as long as you are careful not to duplicate the front-end IP's, they should be perfectly happy running in parallel.

As with all these kinds of deployments though, if unsure, spin up a quick lab setup and get some experience on there first with installing AS3 and FAST before going to the live system. 

Hope this helps, 

Alex 

2 Replies

• Hi Andy, 

Yes, this shouldn't be a problem.

The FAST templates are basically just a repackaging of the iApp templates (...and now I'm probably about to be attacked by some F5 folks... 😉 Whereas the iApps work by relying on tmsh code and internal scripting, the FAST framework is heavily reliant on the API and AS3 for its actual commands. This makes the FAST templates a lot more flexible and futureproof as they rely less on the exact internal workings. As long as the API commands stay the same, the templates will continue to work.

So regarding running an iApp for the Exchange 2013 install and a FAST template for the 2016 install, as long as you are careful not to duplicate the front-end IP's, they should be perfectly happy running in parallel.

As with all these kinds of deployments though, if unsure, spin up a quick lab setup and get some experience on there first with installing AS3 and FAST before going to the live system. 

Hope this helps, 

Alex 

Andy_Verrent
      Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus

Hi Alex

Thank you for the reply and explanation, much apperiacted.