Forum Discussion

Michael_Harpe
Icon for Altostratus rankAltostratus
Jan 18, 2024
Solved

Persistence records point to 127.0.0.1:10001

BIG-IP 5820-DF running  BIG-IP 15.1.10.2 Build 0.44.2 Engineering Hotfix 

I have a virtual server that is using hash persistence. I have started seeing persistence records like the one below. The user is reporting problems with the application.

hash 837125273 10.10.88.27:443 127.0.0.1:10001 (tmm: 3)

I have never seen this before. so any help is appreciated.

Michael Harpe

•  

It seems that you are using APM based on the 127.0.0.1:10001 entry in the persistence table. 

When a user accesses the Virtual Server, during the login procedure, the server communicates with the apd daemon, causing it to automatically enter the persistence table due to the association of a persistence profile with the corresponding VS.

I don't think this IP address "127.0.0.1:10001" is associated with any pool, so its timer will not affect the persistence functionality of the pool member.

• Those are probably the connections from the local user-space APMD (it implements many of the 3rd party authentication libraries and other stuff that APM uses and does session database CRUD operations to TMM's sessiondb via port 10001), which does occur over a normal socket connection. AFAIK no VSs are used normally.

I wonder why TMM would be getting that traffic and applying persistence in this situation, I'd suppose it would have to match a VS? 

You can see all of this in wireshark so probably the next step is to do a port 10001 and ARP packet capture to see what interface is handling it.

4 Replies

•  

It seems that you are using APM based on the 127.0.0.1:10001 entry in the persistence table. 

When a user accesses the Virtual Server, during the login procedure, the server communicates with the apd daemon, causing it to automatically enter the persistence table due to the association of a persistence profile with the corresponding VS.

I don't think this IP address "127.0.0.1:10001" is associated with any pool, so its timer will not affect the persistence functionality of the pool member.

Lucas_Thompson
      Icon for Employee rankEmployee

Those are probably the connections from the local user-space APMD (it implements many of the 3rd party authentication libraries and other stuff that APM uses and does session database CRUD operations to TMM's sessiondb via port 10001), which does occur over a normal socket connection. AFAIK no VSs are used normally.

I wonder why TMM would be getting that traffic and applying persistence in this situation, I'd suppose it would have to match a VS? 

You can see all of this in wireshark so probably the next step is to do a port 10001 and ARP packet capture to see what interface is handling it.