Forum Discussion

danphil
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Apr 18, 2024
Solved

health monitor source IP address

Hi there,

Has somebody ever tried to change the source IP address for the LTM health monitor?

To work around a specific design in the network I do not want to use the egress interface local self IP address which is used by default.

Regards,

Danphil

• Dear SanjayP, 

Thanks for your time and reply.
    The multi VIP solution was tried before posting the question here. I used an alias in the healthmonitor that was pointing to a VIP where I could indeed do a SNAT. But this only works for a pool with one poolmember. Indeed this was a complex solution to administer.
    But the good news is that meanwhile we found a solution in the network (Cisco ACI) to distribute the transit network to legacy network behind the ACI.  So we can use standard health monitors.

2 Replies

• I don't think it's possible to use different IP address. By default, F5 will use non-floating local IP address while sending health monitor connection toe the pool member.  You can try creating multi VIP environment where first VIP you can use with SNAT pool with IP address you need just for monitoring and another VIP for application traffic. But this will be a complex solution

danphil
      Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus

Dear SanjayP, 

Thanks for your time and reply.
      The multi VIP solution was tried before posting the question here. I used an alias in the healthmonitor that was pointing to a VIP where I could indeed do a SNAT. But this only works for a pool with one poolmember. Indeed this was a complex solution to administer.
      But the good news is that meanwhile we found a solution in the network (Cisco ACI) to distribute the transit network to legacy network behind the ACI.  So we can use standard health monitors.