Forum Discussion

devd4n
Icon for Altostratus rankAltostratus
Jul 25, 2023

F5 XC | Rewrite Redirect functionality

Hi together,

for the migration to F5 XC we need to change the location header for certain responses (301,302) to match the hostname of the XC instance.

Is there currently a way to configure a rewrite redirect to an F5 XC virtual server?
I also couldn't find a configuration option that allows response header manipulation.

I am grateful for any hint.

Update:
i found a feature Request for that functionality:
https://www.f5cloudideas.com/ideas/MESH-I-149

but if there are any other ideas pls share with me 🙂

8 Replies

devd4n
      Icon for Altostratus rankAltostratus
      Spoiler

Hi Nikoolayy1,

thank you for the hint. Unfortunately this setting only overwrites the host header. I.e. if the target/application server sends a 302 redirect back to itself and not to the FQDN/IP of the XC, the subsequent request is not routed via the XC, but a direct connect to the corresponding target server is performed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Example:

FQDN-XC: www[.]test.ves.io
      FQDN destination: www[.]test.de

REQUEST www[.]test.ves.io/redirect/uri => XC => www[.]test.de/redirect/uri
      RESPONSE 302 - Location: www[.]test.de/destination/uri => XC

===> At this moment XC have to rewrite the Location header to it's own FQDN (Location: www[.]test.ves.io/destination/uri)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only particular solution i found is to send all redirects directly for defined uris, but that is not usefull in all cases.