Forum Discussion

Michel_van_der_
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Oct 16, 2006

WSDL Development?

What do you guys at F5 use for your WSDL development? Does it come from an IDE? XML development tool (such as XMLSpy)?

I'm considering playing around with an iControl 'wrapper' service, something which could provide some functionality covering the gap between the enterprise manager and a bespoke solution I built.

I like the whole SOAP idea, perhaps with a light YUI app to go with it. I've never actually built a SOAP service, hence the question.

Thanks.

1 Reply

• With all of the development kids out there, there really is no need for direct WSDL development. You should define your web services in which ever toolkit you are using and it should generate the appropriate WSDL files that match your exposed services.

Starting on building a SOAP service depends on the toolkit you are using. If you are using .NET, it has it's on project type. Just create a new web service project, define your interfaces and deploy it and you are all set. The various java toolkits out there have analogous methods for building web services as well. If you are going the perl route, then you might have to do some custom work as I don't believe those toolkits have support for WSDL. I personally have only used the client side of their toolkit so I can't really help you there.

Your best bet is to start with your toolkit vendor's website and take a look at their examples.

Oh, I forgot to answer your original question. We use an internally build tool that generates WSDL from our internally defined interface formats.

-Joe