Forum Discussion

MartinS
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Oct 29, 2019

Tagging not working after upgrade

Hello everybody,

Im running 2 VE on Hyper-V(prod and test). TEST is at version 14.1.2.1 and PROD at 12.1.4.1. Last week I tried to upgrade also PROD to version 14.1.2.1 but problem with traffic occured. After some time of investigation I found out that problem is with tagged vlan interfaces. For example - untagged communication via interface 1.1 works fine; tagged communication via interface 1.1 doesnot work. I did some tests(tcpdump) and found out that If some device in same segment tried to ping tagged interface of my F5 so I can see ARP for that traffic at F5. I also can see that F5 sends reply for that ARP but unfortunately this information is not delivered to hosts who pinged. It seems like outgoing communication from F5 is somewhere dropped. Sure, it points to Hyper-V but it worked before upgrade. I also checked release notes to my version and no related information

Can someone advice?

thank you

Martin

6 Replies

• i can find some older questions / blogs with similar issues, but nothing recent.

https://devcentral.f5.com/s/question/0D51T00006j2qNv/hyperv-and-tagged-vlans-at-ltm-guest-limitations

https://it-welt.die-zedlers.de/2014/09/03/f5-big-ip-ve-on

what version is your hyper-v?

• Hello Martin,

Have you found any solution or root cause? I have opened case with F5 for 4 months now for the same issue and still they haven't provided any solution.

• Hi,

2 weeks ago I also opened a ticket. I tooks me 10 days to persuade a TAC to simulate same situation in their LAB, At first they did not want is as they dont have it in bug list :-)

From my point of view it seems to be problem with LIS. 12.1.4.1 version has LIS 3.5 included but 14.1.2.1 has version 3.1 (Hyper-V says this information). Probably they changed Kernel from

12.1.4.1 version cat /etc/centos-release

CentOS release 6.6 (Final)

to

14.1.2.1 version cat /etc/centos-release

CentOS Linux release 7.3.1611 (Core)

but forgot to update LIS

Currently Im still waiting for update from TAC

I´ll post here result once I get it

Martin

• Hey Martin,

Thanks for the reply btw what version of Hyper-v are you using. They tried to persuade me the issue is with Hyper-v on server 2016 only but i reproduced the issue on 2012 as well and there indeed i see the version of LIS to be 3.1

• Hi

We have a Windows Server 2012 R2

As I understand problem is that since version 14.x BigIP use as OS Centos version 7.3. This version of Centos has build-in LIS and Microsoft says that it is supported. Unfortunately Hyper-V dont recognize builded-in LIS and thats why some feature like tagging does not work. F5 says that it is not their problem because according to Microsoft documentation it should works. It seems that nobody int F5 tests it and just they rely on that it should works. So according to this experience I would say that Hyper-V is not fully supported by BigIP.

F5 support says that we can open a RFE ticket and we will see if engineering accept our request.