Forum Discussion

Mar 23, 2020

Search for a certain string or value in a session variable, modify it, and create a new session variable

I need to create a certain variable from some information i pull from someone's AD group. I am basically query AD for a users "memberOf" and this is what i get:

| CN=__P-GBL-Software-ComputerName3-Extranet-ExternalAccess,OU=Container,OU=Groups,OU=Acct_ABC,DC=company,DC=com | CN=Code Committee,OU=Distribution Groups,OU=Groups,OU=Acct_ABC,DC=company,DC=ccom | CN=__A-GBL-Dept-Switch-FULL,OU=Admins,OU=Acct_ABC,DC=company,DC=com | CN=__ABC Staff Lotto (Restricted),OU=Distribution Groups,OU=Groups,OU=Acct_ABC,DC=company,DC=com | CN=__P-GBL-Pix-Loc-Special,OU=Software,OU=Groups,OU=Acct_ABC,DC=company,DC=com | CN=__P-GBL-Pix-Role-Telehealth,OU=Software,OU=Groups,OU=Acct_ABC,DC=company,DC=com | CN=__P-GBL-Pix-Loc-House Home Health,OU=Software,OU=Groups,OU=Acct_ABC,DC=company,DC=com | CN=Talking Email,OU=Distribution Groups,OU=Groups,OU=Acct_ABC,DC=company,DC=com | CN=ABC-MS-O365-E3-Reporting,OU=Azure,OU=Groups,OU=Acct_ABC,DC=company,DC=com | CN=__P-GBL-F5-Test,OU=Groups,OU=Acct_ABC,DC=company,DC=com |

I need to pull the computer name from this long list and this value can be dynamic and the number "3" could be single digit or two digits like a "12". The value "Container" is unique and i think i can start here. I was hoping to find the string that contained "Container", then separate the vlues by "-" and from "-" take the values behind it.

Example, first find the first string using "Container":

CN=__P-GBL-Software-ComputerName3-Extranet-ExternalAccess,OU=Container,OU=Groups,OU=Acct_ABC,DC=company,DC=com

Next separate by "-":

CN=__P-GBL

Software

ComputerName3

Extranet

ExternalAccess,OU=Container,OU=Groups,OU=Acct_ABC,DC=company,DC=com

And create a variable using ComputerName3. I have looked the different "Split" and "lindex" commands but it can be a little confusing. Any help?

3 Replies

• this should work, use it in a variable assign to whatever session variable you want.

set mem_fields [split [mcget {session.ad.last.attr.memberOf}] "|"]; foreach mem $mem_fields { if { $mem contains "Container" } { set found $mem } }; set grp_fields [split $found "-"]; return [lindex $grp_fields 2];

if not please check apm log for error or what result you do get.

• ​I am so sorry I turned out to be on of those people I hate. I asked a question, figured it out, but didn't update the web source to help others....

I ended going with the following code:

expr { [lindex [regexp -inline {.*-(.*)-Extranet-ExternalAccess.*} [mcget session.ad.last.attr.memberOf]] 1] }

and this fixed my needs. thanks for the help!

boneyard
      Icon for MVP rankMVP

totally no worries, i had some fun while trying to come up with a solution. yours is way more elegant. although i have always learned to be careful with regexp in such cases due to load. is this working in a high usage environment or pretty small usergroup.