Forum Discussion

FlorianM_29948
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Nov 27, 2012

Restrict access by uri and ip

Hi everyone i'm new to the F5 community and i'm having troubles with an iRule.

I need to be abble to restrict the access of many uri based on multiple ip addresses who may vary between each uri. I would like to have the most clear and short iRule possible in order to be able to modify it later with ease. (I'm in V10.2.4)

I came up with that iRule and it works but i would like to replace the if-elseif statements with a switch for more clarity :

when HTTP_REQUEST {

switch -glob [HTTP::uri] {

"/error*" {

if { [class match [IP::client_addr] equals ipgrouptest] } {

if the client IP match the ipgrouptest class we do nothing

}

elseif { [class match [IP::client_addr] equals ipgrouptest2] } {

if the client IP match the ipgrouptest2 class we do nothing

}

else { HTTP::respond 403 }

}

"/example*" {

if { [class match [IP::client_addr] equals ipgrouptest] } {

if the client IP match the ipgrouptest class we do nothing

}

elseif { [class match [IP::client_addr] equals ipgrouptest3] } {

if the client IP match the ipgrouptest3 class we do nothing

}

}

}

}

Despite trying a lot of stuff I can't make it work like I want it to. If someone have an idea or a solution for my problem it would be really nice !

Thanks in advance and sorry if i'm not clear enough, english is not my mother tongue.

3 Replies

• This reduces it somewhat;

when HTTP_REQUEST {
     switch -glob [HTTP::uri] {
      "/error*" {
       if { (([class match [IP::client_addr] equals ipgrouptest]) or ([class match [IP::client_addr] equals ipgrouptest2])) } {
        If the client IP match the ipgrouptest/2 class we do nothing
       }
      }
      "/example*" {
       if { (([class match [IP::client_addr] equals ipgrouptest]) or ([class match [IP::client_addr] equals ipgrouptest3])) } {
        If the client IP match the ipgrouptest/3 class we do nothing
       }
      }
     }
    }

• I came up with that iRule and it works but i would like to replace the if-elseif statements with a switch for more clarity :i do not think you can perform class match in switch string. anyway, if there is no performance issue, your code looks okay to me.
  • Posted By nitass on 11/27/2012 03:39 AM

I came up with that iRule and it works but i would like to replace the if-elseif statements with a switch for more clarity : i do not think you can perform class match in switch string. anyway, if there is no performance issue, your code looks okay to me.

That's the conclusion i reach also, class match in switch string doesn't seem to be a good idea.

I don't think i'll have performance issue since my server has a lot of ressources always available so...

Anyway thanks for the answers I think i'm going to replace the "elsif" with "or " that will make me gain some lines.