Forum Discussion

Chris_Richards_
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Jun 23, 2015

Outlook access with APM

Hi

We are looking at using our BIG-IP APM to provide email access to work laptops without the need to create a VPN. Looking at some documentation it's possible with iapps. I have tried to import the exchange template but it failed because we don't have LTM licenced.

Is it possible to achieve what we are trying to do without the LTM module?

Thanks

Chris

6 Replies

• I had the same issue. you need to configure APM manually.

follow the Manual configuration tables in Exchange iapp deployment guide.

• not sure how supported this is but you can provision LTM even if you haven't got it licensed. it will give a message at the left top, but further you are ok. then you are able to use the iApp. im not 100% sure if it will work, it depends on what the iApp does exactly as without LTM license you can put multiple nodes in a pool, only don't use more complex loadbalancing methods, but you could give it a try.

do report back with the result please.

• Thanks for the replies. When I get a moment when people are not using the system I will enable the LTM module and see if that works.

I've had a look at the document for the manual installation and I've fallen at the first hurdle with the health monitors. For the type it's asking for External but I don't see this in the list.

I think I might need to try and find more assistance with the configuration.

Regards

Chris

• without LTM license your options for health monitor are pretty limited, you will probably have to fallback to tcp or something simple like that. in principle that isn't the most important part, it makes it better, but as long as any health monitor is happy your ok.

mikeshimkus_111
    Historic F5 Account

The iApp includes the scenario "BIG-IP APM will provide secure remote access to CAS". If you have LTM provisioned but not licensed, you should be able to deploy with this scenario, then disable strictness on the iApp deployment and add modify the pool members to include your CAS servers instead of the VIP of the internal LTM.

• Thanks for the comments they have helped me get further along. I think I have the bare bones of the policy in place following the guide. I've got to see where along the lines it is falling over. The outlook client pops up asking for password but does not like the username or the password. This might could be due to the access policy not configured correctly for permissions.