Forum Discussion

Feb 23, 2013

LTM/GTM units and route domains

Hi All,

Hopefully someone has done this before or has some insight. I am trying to integrate two pairs of LTM/GTM units where LTM is segmented into various partition/route domain combinations. Right now LTM and GTM each function correcly independent of each other, but I can't figure out how to properly add resources from within a route domain to the GTM as a service.. Datacenter 1 contains two vCMP instances clustered together, both with GTM/LTM licences applied. Datecenter 2 contains two 3900s, clustered together and with the same licensing. All 4 devices are in the same GTM synchronization group, and are communicating properly. All systems are running 11.3.0 HF1.

This guide describes a similar scenario, but it sounds like a firewall is required to perform translation, instead of applying the RD tag number to the end of the service's IP address. http://support.f5.com/kb/en-us/products/big-ip_gtm/manuals/product/gtm-implementations-11-3-0/12.htmlconceptid

Adding the same cluster to GTM as servers but using the self-ips in the target route domain fail to work, with the error:

010712f2:3: IP address 10.10.16.45%1001 belonging to server MyGTM is must be in route domain 0.

In the same note, trying to add a virtual service with a RD tag fails with the error:

0107098a:3: The ip address (10.10.16.36%1001) for a GTM virtual server in partition () references a route domain (1001) in a different partition (MyRD). Objects may only reference objects in the same or the 'Common' partition

I guess the short question is, should I have to go through a firewall to monitor resources that exist on the same unit as GTM? Does GTM actually respect Admin Partitions and Route Domains?

Thanks.

No RepliesBe the first to reply