Forum Discussion

smp_86112
Icon for Cirrostratus rankCirrostratus
Jan 06, 2010

JAX-RPC vs JAX-WS

I'm not a java programmer, so forgive me for butchering this...

Is there a version of iControl that allows a web service to make a call using JAX-WS (as opposed to JAX-RPC which appears to be depricated based on googling)? Connection attempts from web service clients using JAX-WS appear to fail with this message:

java.lang.VerifyError: class loading constraint violated 
  (class: org/apache/axis/MessageContext 
  method: getMessage()Ljavax/xml/soap/SOAPMessage) 

3 Replies

• iControl was implemented as an RPC/Encoded web service back in 2001 before doc/lit was a preferred method. Back then, SOAP::Lite in perl only supported rpc/enc and that was the language that the majority of our customers were working in. A few years later the WSI was formed and ultimately decided that doc/lit was the way to go but by then we were too deep into rpc/enc.

We have only had a couple of requests over the years for doc/lit support and it just isn't enough to justify the cost to migrate the 3000+ methods in our API.

I haven't used JAX-WS but I do know that Axis v1 still works and the distribution jars are in the iControl library download for java if that helps...

If you feel a strong need to move to doc/lit, then I'd suggest you get a feature enhancement request into support. The more of those that come in may bump that up to get into a future release.

-Joe
  • Thanks Joe, I'm relieved that at least I was able to state this in a way someone could understand.

We are meeting with F5 tomorrow to formally request this feature. How would you state our requirement, for maximum clarity and effectiveness?
  • I would state that you request that our iControl interfaces support both rpc/enc and doc/lit encoding methods since rpc/enc is not supported in some of the newer java frameworks.

-Joe