Forum Discussion

Paul_Barton_829
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Apr 10, 2014

Is /etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf reverting to default state after reboot in 11.5.1?

I modified /etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf's mailhub value to route local mail through our relays and tested successfully. However after rebooting the device, /etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf reverted to its default state. Is there a different way to manage this file in 11.5.1?

8 Replies

Mike_Kahler_488
    Historic F5 Account

It appears that /etc/ssmtp.conf is not included in the ucs file. Using:

sol4422: Viewing and modifying the files that are configured for inclusion in a UCS archive

I looked at cs.dat and see no instances for the /etc/ssmtp directory. So the upgrade will not include the ssmtp.conf file. It would have been nice to include that fact in sol13180.

Paul_Barton_829
      Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
      I'm only talking about /etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf persisting through a full_box_reboot. If I reboot the device, changes to ssmtp.conf are reverted.
    Mike_Kahler_488
    Historic F5 Account

Yeh. I see that now after getting some coffee. You can open a case with F5. I'll work on this on my end.

Mike_Kahler_488
    Historic F5 Account

So I finally figured out that you need to create an smtp server from the GUI or command line:

System -> Configuration -> Device -> SMTP

tmsh modify sys smtp-server

But I can't get this to work on my 11.5.1. It never seems to update ssmtp.conf. I think you will need F5 support on this issue.

• Here's an update from F5, this method will set the mailhub value in /etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf and persist through a reboot:

tmsh modify sys outbound-smtp mailhub your.relayserver.com:25

Mike_Kahler_488
      Historic F5 Account
      That is funny. I was trying "modify /sys smtp-server..." Wonder what that is for. Maybe they should document that. Thanks Paul.
  • I was trying "modify /sys smtp-server..." Wonder what that is for. Maybe they should document that.

i think it is referred by avr.