Forum Discussion

Lloyd_Carter
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
May 12, 2020
Solved

iRule for IP Whitelist on specific URL

I have a service that I am migrating to F5 BIG IP. It previously used IIS IP Address Restriction to control access to a particular URL. Can anyone recommend an iRule that will allow me to do the same. So for example only Clients from IPs in my whitelist are able to access mywebsite.com/private whilst allowing all other pages to go through.

• Sure an iRule for that isn't hard. The question is how will you get the whitelist on the BIGIP. If you use data groups you can update a whitelist directly in the GUI, but is that an interface you want to use for this. You can also use external data groups which are a file on the BIG-IP. This can be pushed/pulled from other sources and then loaded on the BIG-IP. If you have privatewhitelist address data group defined on the BIG-IP this would do the job.

when HTTP_REQUEST {
      if {[HTTP::uri] eq "/private"} {
        if {![class match [IP::client_address] equals privatelwhitelist]} {
          HTTP::respond 403 content "<html><body>Access not permitted</body></html>" Connection Close
          TCP::close
        }
      }
    }

3 Replies

• Sure an iRule for that isn't hard. The question is how will you get the whitelist on the BIGIP. If you use data groups you can update a whitelist directly in the GUI, but is that an interface you want to use for this. You can also use external data groups which are a file on the BIG-IP. This can be pushed/pulled from other sources and then loaded on the BIG-IP. If you have privatewhitelist address data group defined on the BIG-IP this would do the job.

when HTTP_REQUEST {
      if {[HTTP::uri] eq "/private"} {
        if {![class match [IP::client_address] equals privatelwhitelist]} {
          HTTP::respond 403 content "<html><body>Access not permitted</body></html>" Connection Close
          TCP::close
        }
      }
    }
      Lloyd_Carter
      Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for this. An internal data group for this would be fine as the list is going to be fairly static. I have defined my Data Group but I'm getting an error on the iRule as follows.

01070151:3: [undefined procedure: IP::client_address][IP::client_address]

Any ideas what I did wrong here? It looks like my data group has not been recognised by the irule

• Kevins solution works. My issue was a typo [IP::client_address] should be [IP::client_addr]