Forum Discussion

Sep 11, 2020

IP-Intelligence Manual Additions and Bad Actor Additions Not Working

Greetings dev central community,

I have come to impasses in two goals on a 15.1.0.5 VE running in esxi related to IP-Intelligence configuration and I would very much appreciate direction for resolution.

Impasse 1:

Having my manually added IP address be respected by the IP-Intelligence policy. Though pre-existing blacklisted sources are dropped with my configuration, my manually added IP addresses added via are not respected.

I'm adding the IP addresses to my categories configured for drop in my IP-Intelligence policy via Security ›› Network Firewall : IP Intelligence : Blacklist Categories >> Add to Category.

I've tried with public and private IP's.

I've tried with pre-existing and custom blacklist categories.

My license is valid.

iprep_lookup from the CLI shows no verdict/category for the manually added IP's.

Where as the GUI "Check Entry" button shows the IP address as present in the blacklisted category.

Impasse 2:

DoS blacklisting via Bad Actor Detection is not updating the blacklist category with the offending IP address.

My tests have been done via Device DoS Protection via ICMPv4 flooding.

I can see the attack vector being rate limited in DoS logs.

My settings to add to the bad actor to the blacklist category are set low (Sustained Attack Detection Time of 10 seconds). Even if my test source attacks for a prolonged period of time and is mitigated for this prologed period of time, the address never shows up in the blacklist category specified.

I have tried custom categories as well as the pre-made denial-of-service category.

I have selected to advertise externally and I have BGP setup to redistribute kernel. Regardless, the IP address that should be shunned does not show up in the routing table as a local blackholed kernel route nor does it show up in the upstream BGP peer as a blackholed route.

Manually configured blackholed routes are propogated properly via redistribute kernel.

GUI "Check Entry" button does not show the IP address as present in the specified bad actor specified category.

I have tried triggering the attack vector/bad actor protection private IP's as well as spoofed public IP's.

list security dos device-config dos-device-vector

icmpv4-flood

allow-advertisement enabled

allow-upstream-scrubbing disabled

attacked-dst disabled

auto-blacklisting enabled

auto-scrubbing disabled

auto-threshold disabled

bad-actor enabled

blacklist-category denial_of_service

blacklist-detection-seconds 10

blacklist-duration 14400