Forum Discussion

Rob_13365
Icon for Altocumulus rankAltocumulus
Oct 12, 2015
Solved

iControl SnapIn and version 11.6 - xml error?

Hello,

I write a script a year or so ago to get various statistics out of F5 big ip and into our monitoring system. it was working fine on version 10.x but we recently upgraded to version 11.6 and now it's broken and I can't understand what's wrong.

When I run the command:-

(Get-F5.iControl).LocalLBVirtualServer.get_statistics("someVIP")

I get the following exception:-

Exception calling "get_statistics" with "1" argument(s): "There is an error in XML document (358, 95)."
At line:1 char:1
+ (Get-F5.iControl).LocalLBVirtualServer.get_statistics("someVIP")
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [], MethodInvocationException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : InvalidOperationException

Can someone explain what's going on with this error and how I might be able to resolve it?

Many thanks,

Rob

• I've worked out what was wrong. I was using an older version of the snapin.

I found the link to download iControlSnapInSetup_23.msi and now I'm back in business.

3 Replies

• I found this question https://devcentral.f5.com/s/feed/0D51T00006kGtpGSAS Where Joe asks about the PowerShell/iControl .Net lib version. I don't understand exactly what that is but the date on my C:\Program Files (x86)\F5 Networks\iControlSnapIn\iControl.dll is the 29/09/2011 and the properties of the file says it's version 11.0.0.0. Hope someone can help! thanks again, Rob
  • I've worked out what was wrong. I was using an older version of the snapin.

I found the link to download iControlSnapInSetup_23.msi and now I'm back in business.

Joe_Pruitt
      Icon for Cirrostratus rankCirrostratus
      This issue comes up with you are connecting to a newer version of the BIG-IP where new enumerations were introduced. The way the SOAP layer works with the .net library is that it needs to know the string representations of the enums so when a new one comes down in a response the client code knows how to interpret it. Too bad the .net code doesn't handle new values but that's how it is.