Forum Discussion

ssamanta_128120
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Dec 04, 2003

I Control Software

Dear All,

I am newbie in I-Control Forum. I don't have any development background . I would like to use I-COntrol software to monitor some exisiting WebLogic application via BigIP.

I tried to configure I-Control by config command. I choosed all the default

option, but not sure how to use that facility.

Can anyone share any programe which will help to monitor our Web server activities. Please let me know details step of configuration.

Thanks in advance.

SS

5 Replies

• The iControl server is running by default so there is no additional configuration needed to access it. It relies on the same authentication mechanism as the web based administration GUI so as long as that is configured iControl clients can be developed to access the BIG-IP. The SDK contains sample code in several languages (Perl, Java, C, VB) that illustrate how to monitor application pools and servers. Good places to start would be LocalLBPool which illustrates how to interrogate a pool and it's members and the states of each and LocalLBNode which focuses on the health and statistics of the servers.

Hope this helps and would appreciate your letting us know more specifics on your project.

-Joe
  • The SDK contains several samples on monitoring and configuring Nodes, Pools, Vips, etc. Look in the sdk/support/SOAP directory for language options. In there you can go to perl/LocalLB for perl and java/LocalLB for java sample apps. If you don't have the SDK, you can download it from

-Joe
  • Joe -

Thanks a lot. I already downloaded sdk & untar it in our BigIP boxes. Would you please advise how to configure it. Is there any way to check all the statistics thru web.

Sorry for all the inconvienence.

SS
  • Thanks JOE -

Now I got some idea about Icontrol. Can u give me any basic Java/Perl programe to monitor existing Pool or VIP.. It will give some idea about

its utilization.

Thanks

SS
  • We don't recommend installing the SDK on device itself. The SDK is meant as a client side toolkit with which you install on the client machine you wish to use to monitor your devices. The SDK includes setup pre-requisites for each of the languages. For java http://ws.apache.org/soap/index.html, you will need to have the appropriate Apache SOAP libraries installed. For perl http://www.soaplite.com, you will need to install SOAP::Lite with the Crypt::SSLeay module available from CPAN. Installation instructions for these toolkits are available on the toolkit's website.

As for statistics. All are available through both the Web Based Administration and iControl in the object type's interface (Pool, Node, Virtual Server, etc).

-Joe