Forum Discussion

Jan 18, 2020

HTTP POST messages are not load balanced.

Application/VS is configured with persistence profile "session cookie" & round-robin load balancing method. Application team is complaining HTTP POST messages from middleware (Axway) are going only to one server & not load balanced among three servers in load balancing pool which is causing one server to overload & crash multiple times a day.

Load balancing is fine for end users connections. Is it possible persistence profile causing the POST messages from Middleware to route to only one server?

4 Replies

• the session cookie persistence inserts a cookie into the stream to maintain the loadbalancing to that server. this will be the same for both GET and POST requests. Once this is set, all requests on that stream will hit that server so it should just be doing load based distribution - are you sure this isn't a DoS attack or suchlike? It could be that the middleware has setup a HTTP connection and is use pipelining and therefore targeting everything at one server due to the persistence.

You could change to least connections loadbalancing to see whether that fixes it. I'd tend to take a look at the stats and do some further testing to see this for yourself ie create 100 sessions with curl and see what cookie is returned. If that is fine then look further into the actual requests - whether they are one HTTP/TCP stream etc

Ashu_Aggarwal
      Icon for Cirrus rankCirrus
      Thanks Pete. It is internal application so DOS kind of possibilities are quite null. I will do a packet capture and see what happening Thanks again for your help.
  • Looks like al the requests are valid & legitimate. I am thinking to configure a i-rule to disable persistence for Axway POST requests. Can someone help me with i-rule with the logic if the client address is x.x.x.x then persistence none. currently there are 3 Axway servers which needs to be fit in i-rule. Thanks

• This is the syntax, will this syntax work? Unfortunately i don't have a test environment.

when CLIENT_ACCEPTED {

if { [IP::addr [IP::client_addr] equals X.X.X.X] }

{

persist none

}

if [IP::addr [IP::client_addr] equals X.X.X.X] }

{

persist none

}

if [IP::addr [IP::client_addr] equals X.X.X.X] }

{

persist none