Forum Discussion

ScubaBri_82634
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Jan 31, 2008

GTM Inter US Topology LB

Does anyone have any experience setting up A GTM to load balance clients inside the US? I have 2 GTM's one in Socal, the other in ATL. I'd like to send clients on the east coast to my ATL DC, and Socal for my West coast.

Since I am an ISP, connections could come from any IP subnet.

Can anyone help?

b

5 Replies

Michael_Everet1
    Historic F5 Account
    I have quite a bit of experience using topology based lb to maker inter us decisions. However, I work for an enterprise where the IP addresses of our DNS servers is known. The only way I can think of when you don't know the addresses of the client ips(dns servers) to begin with is to use one of the dynamic lb methods..

If you come up with something I would be interested in hearing the details..
  • That's a tough task; many ISP's regionalized cache resolvers ultimately don't very well reflective the user location. This results in very inconsistent performance with topology records. If you control the user-base and the dns architecture, say in a large enterprise, topology works quite well.
  • Understood, especially for big service providers (AOL, Comcast, Verizon etc). Even if it's a 20% solution, if it saves any cross-country roundtrips it may be worth it, especially for the dialup users that are more likely to have accurate LDNS IP->Region mappings.

For broadband, connectivity is so good domestically that it probably doesn't matter if your Service is in New York or Seattle.

-J
    Will_
    Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
    Hi,

Is there a way to send even IP addresses to one DC and odd to another (using the first octet of course)? Just want to be deterministic. Since it is not inverse masking for the topology records this makes it difficult. I will go look at iRules but if you have any thoughts, would appreciate it.

Thanks...