Forum Discussion

insomniak_11745
Icon for Nimbostratus rankNimbostratus
Sep 09, 2013

Galera Replication Utilizing Percona XtraDB Cluster - Load Balancing Method

This is most likely a long shot as I've found virtually nothing regarding anyone using this combination of hardware/software.

We implemented a solution for a SaaS application to utilize Galera Replication using Percona XtraDB Cluster. Our main reasoning for going this route was for consistent read-writes throughout the cluster. Essentially:

Percona XtraDB Cluster features include:
    Synchronous replication
    Multi-master replication support
    Parallel replication
    Automatic node provisioning

We want to use this in tandem with a Virtual Server on the BigIP, and a corresponding Resource Pool. We have five DB nodes in the pool, currently configured to use Round Robin as its load balancing method.

I believe we're running into issues with Round Robin, as we'll see temporary spikes in one of the DB nodes resource usage, where ideally this traffic would have been offloaded to one of the other members of the pool.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of setup, and if so, are there any suggestions on an alternate load balancing method?

Thanks!

3 Replies

• I don't really have evidence that it was caused by uneven load balancing, just an educated hunch at best. Suffice it to say that there were ample resources available on the other members of the pool when they're all identical clones of each other and one gets hammered anyway.

I'll look into these other load balancing methods as Round Robin does seem to be a lazy approach. Thanks for the info!