Generic Forward Proxy with Websense Filtering iApp
Problem this snippet solves:
This iApp implements a simple anonymous HTTP (CONNECT) or SOCKS 4/4a/5 foward proxy virtual server, and supports the following features:
- Support for Websense content filtering
- Menu-driven proxy autoconfiguration file generation
- Simple network-based restriction of proxy use
- Control of allowed ports-per-protocol
- Support for dynamic FTP PASV mapping
- Simple name resolution caching from a pool of configured DNS resolvers
- Informative error pages
- Extended enforcement of SSL blocking through confirmation of Server Name Indication
The Websense support is delivered through use of a sideband connection over which we speak natively to a Websense server that's configured to run (at minimum) the Filtering Service. This iApp supports sending queries from the forward proxy VS to a pool of Websense servers.
The iApp is supplied with a complete help menu; make sure to read it thoroughly.